Thursday, February 26, 2009

you plan on having your baby WHERE?

I'm not too shy about telling people that we're planning a home birth for this baby. I get a wide range of reactions, but for the most part people are pretty polite about it, even though it's quite obvious that they would never ever consider that approach for themselves. That's great, I don't expect everyone to agree with my point of view-- but rude people do bug me. So for those of you who think we're crazy but have still been respectful of our decision-- THANK YOU. That said, I figure it's time for me to share a little bit of the rationale behind our choice.


I've always been fascinated by pregnancy and birth and was blessed with a mother who had a firmly held belief that our bodies are beautifully designed to grow and give birth to healthy babies and that less interference in the process is generally for the best. Years of research and experience have only strengthened that belief for me.


You may be surprised to find that NO well-designed study has ever found that home births for low-risk women, attended by trained and competent caregivers is more dangerous than a hospital birth. Not a one. Yes, there are women who most certainly should not give birth at home: women with clinical (not gestational) diabetes, or heart disease, or with certain STDs, to name a few. But the majority of American women fall into the low-risk category. Equally as important as being low risk is being sure that the birth will be attended by an experienced and competent caregiver-- someone who is well trained in recognizing and resolving potential complications, as well as knowing at what point a hospital transfer needs to be made, if necessary.

In all honesty, I should note that there was a study a few years ago that on the surface seemed to show that home birth was more risky than hospital birth. A closer look, however, showed that their sample of home births included unplanned home births, unattended home births and even women who had miscarriages at home-- hardly a representative sample. When reading up on any scientific study, it's always important to take a look at the methodology. Who knew that I'd be glad I took statistics in college?!


One of the best studies out there examining the safety of home birth was published in the British Medical Journal. (find the article here) It looked at the birth outcomes of all 5418 U.S. women planning home births with certified professional midwives in 2000 and concluded that (quoting from the article):


Planned home birth for low risk women in North America using certified professional midwives was associated with lower rates of medical intervention
but similar intrapartum and neonatal mortality to that of low risk hospital
births in the United States.



Translation: My baby and I are at no greater risk of dying from our home birth than we would be from a hospital birth. Maternal and infant mortality rates are not the only measure of safety during birth, so if you're not convinced, note that only 1.3% of the home birth babies in this study had Apgar scores of less than 7 at 5 minutes postpartum-- meaning that the majority of home birthed babies not only survive their births, but do very well.


"Well, what about complications?", you might ask. Funny thing is, that complications seem to happen less frequently during home births than they do in the hospital-- I believe as a result of the overuse of medical interventions in our hospitals today. But yes, complications do still occur at home. Fortunately, most are not life-threatening and can be resolved with simple measures like patience, rest, position changes, and adequate hydration. I'm fully confident in my midwife's ability to take care of the things she can and recognize the situations that need urgent hospital attention. My midwife is current in her Neonatal Resuscitation Certification, though she rarely has to use it. (she's also a Certified Professional Midwife and licensed through our state)

I chose a home birth this time because it's important to me to give birth in an environment and with a caregiver that trusts my body's ability to give birth. I love the continuity of care that I get from my midwife. I've seen her at every prenatal appointment (all of which are scheduled for an hour so I've had plenty of time to get to know her) and know that she'll be the one to attend my birth, start to finish. I don't have to worry about which care provider in a practice is on call when I go into labor, or having to deal with nurses' shift changes and the like. I want to be able to move when and where and how I feel like and I love that my midwife will monitor the baby's heart rate wherever I am and not make me periodically move back to a bed to be strapped up to a fetal monitor (which, by the way, has not been shown to improve outcomes for babies), or even stay there for the duration of my labor. I chose home birth because I feel safe here.

My goal with this post was not to convince all the moms I know that they should have their babies at home too, but rather to help those that care about us realize that we take my safety and that of our baby very seriously and that we're not making a rash or irresponsible decision. We are thrilled with our choice to have a home birth and my hope is that you can be excited for us too. I'm happy to answer any questions and I won't be mad at you if you don't agree with me.

If you're intrigued and interested in doing a little more reading, here are some great places to get started:

Evidence-Based Maternity Care. Would you be surprised to find that the most common maternity care practices (either the practice itself or it's overuse) in America are not based on sound scientific evidence? That the United States spends more per capita on maternal care than any other nation, and yet has some of the poorest maternal and neonatal outcomes in the developed world? This is a really interesting and well-written paper that examines evidence-based maternity care in the U.S., why most women don't recieve it, and some of the consequences.

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, by Henci Goer. This book is chock-full of the scientific research available on birth and it's accompanying procedures. Lots of solid information to help moms (and dads) make the best decisions for their unique situations.

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin. I wish every pregnant woman could read this book. The first half is full of inspiring birth stories and the second is full of wonderful information and plenty of birth wisdom. Yes, Ina May is a self-taught "hippie" midwife, but one look at her statistics would tell anyone that this lady shouldn't be written off. She's really amazing. In fact, she's the only midwife in history to have an obstetrical maneuver named after her. (in case you're wondering, it's the Gaskin maneuver and it involves getting the mother onto her hands and knees to aid the passage of a baby with shoulder dystocia-- stuck shoulders)

25 comments:

Jessica said...

I know that in the Netehrlands they do mostly home births. I would guess a lot of European countries do more home births that here. I have never heard of their mortality rate being higher than the US. I think its nice that you don't have to go to the hospital. I really had the evil satanic nurse last time, luckly she left before Emily was born. I am really hate the hospital. Last time was so bad, I am pretty sure we are done having kids. that is amazing that you get a massage. that is So cool.

Benji said...

I'll buy it. Unfortunately Melissa is high risk, so we'll be in the hospitals from here on out.

Just promise me you won't try to do any "home dentistry"

Steph said...

You've got it Benji-- no home dentistry for us. Thanks for the laugh...

Julie said...

You are very thoughtful to try and calm everyone's nerves. I trust that you both are two very intelligent adults. You should feel comforted that you've got a crew of extended family members who will be praying for you to have the experience you're hoping for! Love ya!

Melissa said...

I think you're crazy, but on the other hand I ended up with a C-section. You probably think I'm crazy! :)

Melissa said...

P.S. I honestly don't think you're crazy. We're excited for you, and happy that you are happy. Seriously.

Emery said...

Good for you for be unswayed by others' opinions. I love a girl who knows what she wants no matter the majority opinion. You'll be great...and I'm dying to meet this baby!

Theresa said...

Ok. I seriously was thinking of you as I drove past the other day wanting to stop by, but thinking,..well how would that be if she was in labor,.. hahaha. Joe would say,.. um,.. now's not a good time,.. we'll see you next week. ha! it was a funny thought.

My mom had her first 4 in the hospital and after being sure she was not having any issues,.. she had the remaining 5 at home and loved it. You can imagine I'm completely comfortable with the idea of a home birth.

I like how you made sure people realize that home births aren't for everyone....It's so important to know how you normally do in labor before you choose home birth and whether you ought to if you have serious medical risks. A friend of mine had a home birth and she had a serious neck injury at one point and had a seizure during labor,.. not good,... those are the cases I'm not sure I'd risk it,... But again it's up to you and your husband and what you can do.

For me and my husband I don't think I'll ever convince him that I might like to have a home birth at some point. He gets too nervous about it,.. so maybe I never will for no other reason that that I want him to be at ease,.. we'll see if things ever change,.. but for one home birth lover to another,.. go for it and pray for the best! (My last brother's cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times and normally a c-section would be performed for that, but the midwife was able to handle it just fine. I think you and the baby will be in good hands and hopefully everyone will pray for your safety,.. giving birth whether in the hospital or at home is risky business,... goodluck!

Theresa said...

Are you planning to let the boys be there? or take them to a friends during labor? I think we always got to be there,.. but then we also had plenty of room in our house to where we weren't right outside mom's bedroom door the whole time. I never had a problem with it. Dad was relaxed and so was everyone else so I was never afraid and we were still pretty young. all of us 10 and under.

Emily Widdison said...

My only question is, what happens if you need a c section?

I think every mother has the choice to decide where they have their baby.

For me, I NEED the drugs so I say, bring on the hospital! :)

BUT I did go with a midwife and I LOVED it and will never go back to a doctor. She was awesome!

You wrote this

"I chose a home birth this time because it's important to me to give birth in an environment and with a caregiver that trusts my body's ability to give birth."

And although I was in a hospital, that is exactly how my midwife made me feel. I'll have to tell you some funny parts of the birth...with the nurse telling me the opposite of the midwife and the midwife basically telling me to ignore the nurse (which I did)...it was interesting and fun.:)

Steph said...

Well, first off, my chance of needing a C-section is really low. We're talking a 1%- 2% range here. But if lightening strikes and I need one, I trust my midwife's ability to recognize it and we'd transfer to the hospital. I live less than 10 minutes away and I'm confident that we could get there in time. And honestly, because I'll spend my entire labor monitered by a real person and not a machine, I feel like there's a good chance my midwife would recognize a potential problem sooner than one would be if we were in the hospital. I don't have any scientific evidence for that-- just my own gut feeling.

Theresa said...

I've read up a little bit on this and in most cases when complications arise the midwife and mother will know in time to make the decision to transfer to the hospital if needed. Maybe the information I'm getting is a little biased,.. ok I'm sure it is,.. but in reality if you think about it,.. the same thing happens when you're in the hospital,.. or at a women's birthing center. if they find a complication then they move you somewhere and prepare you for a different approach. Everything I've heard, the complications are found with plenty of time for someone who lives 10 minutes from the hospital to get there and have it taken care of. The doctor isn't going to be any more prepared to perform surgery on you if you're in the hospital being attended to by a nurse or midwife than if you're at home attended by a midwife. So the only real advantage to being in the hospital is that you're already there which may or may not be an advantage to you depending on your comfort level with hospitals,.. Anyway,.. it's obvious I like home births,.. but like stephanie said,..I'm of the opinion that anyone who is more comfortable having their baby at the hospital,.. do it even if it is for no other reason than peace of mind,.. it's worth it to be the most relaxed you can be during your labor and if that means being in the hospital then that's where you should be. :) Everyone has to choose what makes them comfortable for their own labor/birth and nobody else can know what that is but ourselves.

Jess said...

I think that's cool that you're doing an at home labor. I don't think I could handle it, I like epidurals, and I think I would freak out. I'm a little too nervous to handle that, but that's me. I really look up to you Stephanie, I think you're an amazing woman, and I have no doubt that you'll be just fine!! Good luck, and congratulations!

Shauna said...

Well said Steph. Thank you for so eloquently standing up for the beauty of home birthing. It really brings nature and feelings of connection to the earth and other people right to you.
I love it!!

Sarah Foreman McKellar said...

Having a home birth is not for us, but I think it's great for you! You certainly changed my views on giving birth, and I can't thank you enough! John and Lucie thank you, too, since I was able to have them naturally. You are wonderful and we can't wait to see him/her. Good luck to you!

Jenny said...

Fantastic summary and post. I'm excited for you guys and look forward to seeing photos of your baby.

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome for you! I'm still not sure I'd want to have mine at home (read: I'd have to have the house ready for company the last few weeks- and after a preemie, and ectopic I'm considered high risk), but I'm all for natural child birth. I think if more women were educated about it, and how to work WITH your body, they wouldn't be so afraid of it. My first was 6 weeks early, so I'm glad we were at the hospital, but I learned a lot using hypnosis with my 2nd. Come to think of it, I felt much more in control of things when I was at home with no. 2. They were night and day experiences though. Transition was intense, but there was no burning, nada when he came out. I think I'm going to do hypnosis with a waterbirth for my next one if I can.

Jill said...

Hi! I found your blog from Christina's because she told me I should take a look at it. I have two kids. My first was born in a hospital with pitocin, epidural, the whole nine yards. My second was born at home in the water.
Night and Day experiences.
I have very low risk pregnancies and as long as they stay that way, I will NEVER give birth in a hospital again. I adore my midwife, her assistant and my doula. I loved giving birth in my bedroom, in the water. I loved cuddling up with my baby while my midwife and her assistant cleaned everything up. I loved having my first postpartum visits at my house - where my midwife came to me. I loved that my doula and midwife both gave me nursing advice, even though I'd nursed before. And the recovery??
FANTASTIC. Much, much, much better than after my first. I agree that homebirth is not for everyone. You have to be willing to put the time into researching your options. To being thoroughly committed to a childbirth plan (whatever it may be, I use Hypnobabies) and have support. My husband was wary of a homebirth but now wonders why he doubted. We're praying and working and practicing for another wonderful experience. Gratefully, midwives are trained to recognize normal births so anything outside the wide range of normal is immediately attended to.
Oh, enjoy it! I am an enormous fan of home births and am always excited to hear of women who take initiative to educate themselves about birth instead of handing it over to television programs and the medical profession. I'm not against modern medicine as it has saved my life several times. I just don't think it's the final answer to every question. And I believe there's a lot more fear about birth circulating in our society than the Lord ever intended.
But that is just me and I am human and am prone to make mistakes. Just like everyone else. :)
End of soapbox.

Missy said...

I have thought sometimes of the comfort of doing a home birth. But one thought comes to my mind everytime. Who is going to clean up the mess? I know I don't want to and I know Jeremiah wouldn't be to keen on it. But the thought of being in a very comfortable environment is very appealing. I am hoping next time I am pregnant to be able to use a midwife.

Steph said...

From what I've heard from other home birth moms, the mess isn't actually that bad-- just a big garbage bag full and a couple loads of laundry. And any midwife worth her salt will take care of the clean up. Mine will!

Theresa said...

Yeah I've never heard of the new parents having to clean up the mess. And they put protection down so that whatever mess there is is disposable easily. usually. I don't know.

Steph said...

I bought a vinyl fitted sheet for $5 at Kmart and a fitted sheet from DI, and we've got a whole bunch of chux (disposable absorbant pads-- the same blue-backed kind they use in the hospital). So if the chux don't contain all the "birth stuff", our mattress will be protected and I won't care if my DI sheet gets stained.

Probably too much information, but there you have it.

Jill McQuade said...

I just had my first homebirth (4th child). It was wonderful. I've used an OB, a CNM, a family practice dr, and a lay midwife now. First three in different hospitals. I can't even begin to explain how much better the homebirth was. In general I find the "I don't want a hoembirth because of the mess" argument to be quite amusing. It took my midwife maybe 20 mins to clean everything up. I never even noticed her doing it. I got up to use the bathroom and I came out with everything clean , ready for me to snuggle back up in my bed with my baby.

Melanie Sharp said...

I read this and had to stop a couple of times to remind myself I didn't write it! You beautifully captured the reasons we've also decided on home birth. I'm so glad you found a great midwife to help you bring this sweet baby into the world. You're fantastic Stephanie. I'm pretty darn sure we're kindred spirits and I'm so bummed we didn't get to spend more time in the same state. Maybe someday :-) Love from the Sharps!

Me... said...

Hi Stephanie... first of all, congrats on the baby! Second of all, I totally agree with you about the benefits/positives of home birth. I am more on the naturalist side of things. I do believe in doctors, hospitals, and medicines, but don't think they cure everything. I wish I had the courage to have a baby at home with no epidural, but I'm such a chicken. When I had Hudson I got induced and had an epidural... luckily he was born safe and sound, but I had a horrible delivery. When he was born, I couldn't see him because I lost my eyesight, which didn't come back for almost 7 weeks after he was born. He also stopped breathing and had to be rushed off to NICU. That was all the nurses fault since they pushed him up against my breast and insisted he start breast-feeding right away. I kept telling them I couldn't see what I was doing and didn't know how to breast-feed. Long story short, he suffocated next to my breast. It was a tense time after he'd been rushed out of the room and I sat, waiting and worrying that he was dead. Anyway, I think you were wise to have you baby at home. Good for you!