Thursday, April 10, 2008

Fabulous Florida

And finally, the blog that you've all been waiting for: our wonderful vacation in the sun and sand.

We spent the first couple of days of our trip at DisneyWorld. We had fun there, especially since Lance and his wheelchair got us through the fast pass lines at every ride. Joe and I both really loved Soarin', a ride that simulates flying in a hang glider over parts of California. The boys' favorite "ride" was the monorail. That's right, we spent hundreds of dollars so that Lincoln and Daniel could ride a glorified commuter train around for a couple of days. Next time, I think we'll just save the cash and let the boys ride Trax.

After Disneyland, Grandma Jan graciously offered to take the boys for us for a day, so that Joe and I could meet up with Angie and Todd Bonner in Tampa to go kayaking at the Weedon Island Natural Preserve. It was wonderful to spend the day with such good friends. You can read Angie's account of our adventures here.

After that, we made it down to beautiful Sanibel Island for a week of relaxation, hanging out with my family, and fun at the beach. We stayed in 2 bedroom cottage, complete with kitchen and laundry facilities, that was only 300 yards from the ocean. Everyone enjoyed the homecooked food so much that we all vowed to never again vacation without a kitchen. We spent most of our time snorkeling, swimming, building sand castles and finding beautiful shells.



This is the path down to our own private little piece of seashore heaven













We all went down to the beach on the last night of our trip to watch the sun set and say goodbye to the Island. Not long after this picture was taken, we saw a dolphin swimming less than 30 feet out from the shore. Lincoln and Daniel were sure it was coming to say goodbye.
pictured, left to right: Ben, Kaley, Alissa, Dad, Lance, Mom, Joe, Daniel, Me, Lincoln









Lincoln enjoys lunch on the deck of our beach cottage.













Daniel digs in the sand. (he spent most of the vacation convinced that he was a bulldozer)

















Joe and I watch the sun set and get all romantical.















5 comments:

Todd said...

Aaw, you Hadfields know how to vacation in style! Every moment seems magical. I'm so glad you got to see dolphins saying goodbye.

Lincoln does NOT look like a toddler anymore! I guess that explains the full phone conversations I'm able to have with him now! Sigh.

I'm really glad we got to kayak together. It was incredible to see you guys. What awesome friends!

(This is Angie, by the way, on Todd's side of the computer - don't want to sign him out. He gets a little put out by that.)

Theresa said...

ahhh,.. sounds like a wonderful vacation!

Benji said...

Hey - we just rode the "soarin' over california" ride yesterday with the Hincksters at Disneyland California Adventure! I think that was everyone's favorite ride. Well, that or the Tower of Terror!

Sounds like you guys had fun.

Greg and Sophia said...

What a cute family! I'm laughing because we've lived within driving distance of disneyworld (about 6 1/2 hours) for a year and we haven't been yet. I guess you just never seem to have time to go see the things in your own backyard. Hopefully we'll be able to go before we move but after the twins turn two. It sounds like a ton of fun!

kaweight said...

you are so lucky to have a shutter bug sister like myself to document the life of myself and all those surrounding me!